The History of Eddyville High School
Eddyville (population 153) is located in far souteastern Illinois in the heart of the Shawnee National
Forest. Eddyville is situated in the north-central portion of Pope County. Illinois Route 145 is the main roadway
leading to and from Eddyville. County Road 5 also takes you into the town. Eddyville is about 25 miles due north
of Paducah, Kentucky (as the crow flies).
Eddyville was officially established in
1866 and eventually named after land owner Edward Fulgham. The town was originally named Book in 1861 until
the name was changed to Eddyville in 1869.
The information we received regarding the fact that Eddyville once supported its own high school came from our long-time
contributor Roberta Van Briesen. Roberta located an article on the internet at the following web address:
The article was written by Mildred McCormick and appeared in Springhouse Magazine. In
it Mildred describes the town of Eddyville as it was in 1929:
"Eddyville.....also had a 2-year high school and bank. Dixon Springs,
with its 7 mineral springs, was a thriving resort which offered a hotel with chef, dance pavillion, outdooor activities, a
pool. Special boat and train excursions brought guests from all over the US. Two physicians were in attendance. The popular
mineral water was shipped nation-wide by train."
We are uncertain when high school courses began in Eddyville. We believe it would have been like many other similar-sized
towns of the era. It is likely the school was offered beginning in the early 1920s and probably ended in the late 1940s.
We do know that the kids of Eddyville today attend school as part of the Pope County School District in Golconda.
Eddyville High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1920s
Year closed: 1940s
Consolidated to: Pope County High School (Golconda)
Unknown if athletics were offered.