The History of Mendon Township High School
Mendon (population 883) is located in far west-central Illinois in the west-central
portion of Adams County. The town is located about 10 miles north (and a little east) of Quincy. Illinois Route
61 is the main route to and from Mendon. Illinois Route 336 connects Mendon to Quincy and runs just east of town. The
Mississippi River flows about 4 miles to the west of Mendon.
The area in which Mendon is located was first settled in the late 1820s to early 1830's. The town was
platted in 1833 and originally named Fairfield. There was, however, already a town in Illinois named Fairfield so the
name was changed to Mendon (the reason why the name Mendon was chosen is not listed). The town enjoyed immediate and
steady growth. In 1867, the town of Mendon was officially incorporated. At that time it enjoyed the
fruits brought to it by a railroad line that passed through town.
The information we have on the former Mendon Township High School was found on the Unity High School website
at the internet address of http://www.fourstar.lib.il.us/community/cusd4/who/. The school was originally called simply Mendon High School. In 1937, several additions to the school building were
made (including a gym) and the school soon became known as Mendon Township High School.
From the "Peoples' History of Quincy and Adams County, Illinois: A Sesquicentennial History" written
in 1974 by Rev. Landry Genosky, OFM, Mendon had its first school in 1832, and the first high school was built in 1871 at a
cost of $20,000.00. The two-story building had four classrooms, library, and offices along with a basement, large enough to
house 250 students in grade and high school. The building was later renovated in 1904.
Mendon High would be become a four-year school in 1882 with seven graduates in the first class. The school
would move into a newer building in 1918-19 and renamed Mendon Township High School at that time. The new location had six
classrooms with manual training & domestic science courses added to the curriculum, cloakrooms, gym, and an auditorium
that seated several hundred people. This school could also handle students from other school districts that wanted to complete
their fourth year of high school when their school did not offer it.
It was in 1948 that the voters of the area agreed to pool their educational resources. At this time,
all of the local schools came under the control of one school district. The high schools of Mendon Township, Lima, Loraine, and Ursa combined into one high school which was named Unity High School. The high school was located
The fate of the original Mendon Township High School building is needed.
Mendon Township High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late
Unity High School (Mendon)
Mendon HS team nickname: ?
Mendon HS team colors: ?
School Fight Song: ?