Saints Peter & Paul High School was located in the South Chicago neighborhood
as a co-ed parish school, serving the children of Polish families that were already settled in Chicago.
The school was started with 12 students and one nun from the Sisters of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate
from Joliet in the fall of 1936, adding one grade at a time until it was a four-year school in 1940. Following World War II,
Saints Peter & Paul went all-girls in 1948, maintaining an enrollment of 330 students throughout the 1950's.
At its peak, the order had 11 nuns on the faculty in the fall of 1957, but that was cut nearly
in half to six in 1965. In its final year of operation, the school had 273 students enrolled, which was one of the reasons
why the school closed its doors.
Other factors included the lack of religious personnel that were teaching at the school, financial
problems, and the difficulty of conducting classes with limited facilities.
Following the 1969 spring graduation, remaining students were assisted in transferring to Mercy, Aquinas, or St. Francis deSales High Schools. The status of the school building is unknown at this time.