The History of Chicago St.
Chicago (population 2.8 million) is located in far northeastern Illinois in the center of Cook County. The town became a vital hub for transportation and industry in the mid-1800s. Its
location on the banks of Lake Michigan and the Chicago River gave it access
to the early transportation mode of the day; water. Chicago
has utilized the lake and its early growth to become one of the most prominent cities in the world. O'Hare Airport
is one of the world's busiest. Several major highways and Illinois routes lead you to
and from Chicago as well.
also became a very ethnically diverse area in the early days and has remained so even today. The Catholic religion
has always played a major role in Chicago's history,
and St. Agatha’s Academy was created in 1854 due to the demands for admitting young females to St. Xavier
Academy, which was established in 1847. The school was ready for occupancy on December 3, 1854, right outside the city
limits of a growing Chicago, as a branch to St. Xavier. The
name of the institution comes from Mother Mary Agatha, who was responsible for getting the building process started
but died due to cholera in the summer of 1854.
were accepted during the lifetime of the school, coming from Ohio, Missouri,
Colorado, and California.
They attended classes with daughters of prominent Chicagoans that were day students. The school closed its doors in 1863 for
financial reasons. The building was converted into Mercy Hospital,
which replaced an older structure that was sold by Bishop William Duggan of Chicago.
The remaining boarding students were transferred to St. Xavier Academy.
There was a
second life for the school as it reopened in 1890 at 49th Street and Evans
Avenue on the South Side as a select day and boarding school for girls, but it closed in 1901 as
the result of merging with Corpus Christi School.