The History of Toledo High School
Toledo (population 1,166) is located in the lower-eastern portion of Illinois. Toledo was platted
in 1854 and sits in the center of Cumberland County, serving as its County Seat. Toledo sits on Illinois Route 121 about
2 miles west of Interstate Highway 70. Branches of the Cottonwood Creek flow through the east and south sides of town.
Toledo was officially incorporated in 1866. The Peoria, Decatur, and Evansville Railroad had a great
influence in the town's early growth, however there does not appear to be a railroad still traveling through Toledo. Early
names for thet town included Prairie City and Majority Point. For more on the town's history check ou the following
web address: http://www.iltrails.org/cumberland/villages.htm
. Toledo is located about 15 miles south and a little west of Charleston.
The first school in Toledo was built in 1861 with an addition put on in 1881. A gymnasium was added to this school
in 1924. The first graduating high school class was the class of 1890. Toledo High School continued to exist until
a consolidation effort of the schools in Cumberland County took place in 1948. The Toledo High School building continued to
serve in this capacity until 1952 when the new Cumberland High School building was finished.
The Toledo school building continued to be utilized as an elementary school until 1967. It was then sold and used
as a private business.
Toledo High School Quick Facts
Year consolidated: 1948
Year building ceased as HS: 1952
Cumberland School District (Toledo)
Toldeo HS team nickname: the "Terriers"
Toledo HS team colors: Blue & Gold
School Fight Song: "Hail
To Thee Our Alma Mater"
School song taken for page 139 of "The Book of Ruth" written by Ruth St. John
Thomas, provided by Lloyd Steen:
Hail to the our Alma Mater,
Now to thee we sing:
We are proud to bear
thy colors, Hear thy praises ring.
Here's to her chosen name we'll
Love and cherish too;
And we pledge our true devotion
To the Gold
May we cherish thy tradition
Hold thy banners high;
guard thy name and glory,
Dear Toledo High.