The History of Carlyle St. Mary High School
Carlyle (population 3,406) is located in southwestern Illinois in central Clinton
County. U.S. Route 50 intersects with Illinois Route 127 in Carlyle. Carlyle Lake sits just to the northeast of
town and feeds the Kaskaskia River which flows past the east side of town. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad also makes its
way through town.
The history of the town of Carlyle is in need of research. The history of Carlyle St. Mary's
Catholic Church is very well-documented on the website address of http://www.carlylecatholicchurch.com/. According to this address, St. Mary's parish began a school for the children of the area in 1870. High school
curriculum of some sort was probably offered by the late 1800s to early 1900s. It would not be until 1929, however, that St.
Mary's High School would receive full accreditation as a four-year high school from the state of Illinois.
St. Mary's Catholic High School served the community for nearly 30 years. A decision was made by the
Catholic Archdiocese that a new high school would be built in nearby Breese. This became a reality in 1954. The creation
of the Mater Dei Catholic High School in Breese led to the closing of St. Mary's Catholic High School in Carlyle.
The St. Mary's High School building in Carlyle was razed in 1970. A photo of this building would be
Carlyle St. Mary's Catholic High School Quick Facts
Mater Dei High School (Breese)
Carlyle St. Mary's HS team nickname: "Red
St. Mary's HS team colors:
School Fight Song: