School was set up in town sometime before 1900. It became quite busy, at times offering classes to over
50 kids for grades 1 - 8. In 1928 New Columbia High School building was built. The first graduating class from
the high school consisted of two students. The high school served the town and surrounding area until after the 1948 school
year. The students were then, as they are today, bused to Metropolis High School for their educational
New Columbia High School building served as an elementary school for the Metropolis school district for
37 more years. It was in 1975 that the school was finally closed as an educational facility.
Jane Teague Wiley was interviewed by our good friend Jamie Driskill. Jane
was a student at New Columbia High School during the late 1940's, likely graduating from high school
during that time. Jane further advised the following information on New Columbia High School:
"The school colors for New Columbia High School were blue and gold. A three-act play was
held in the spring of each year to raise money to pay for the Junior-Senior Banquet. The high school did close
in 1948. In 20 years there were 200 graduates from New Columbia High School.
The last Principal of the high school was Cleo Hendon. The first yearbook put out
by the high school was called the "Vidette". The very first graduating class had 2 graduates and the last graduating
class had 2 graduates. New Columbia High School was a 4 year high school."
Another article provided to us by Jamie Driskill was written by Ernestine Turner.
It can be summarized as foolws:
A tornado struck town on May 9, 1927. The farm and home of Leston and Neil Mathis was destroyed. Tragically,
the lives of Leston, Neil, and their youngest daughter Marion, were lost as well. The township folks soon purchased
the property and began building a school building on it.
A high school building was erected in 1928 at the cost of $32,000, the cost being privately
funded. Since the school was not finished prior to the start of the fall of 1928, classes were first held in the
Lodge Hall across from the New Hope Church.
Kids arrived at school in various forms of transportation. The luxury of securing a school bus did
not occur until the mid 1930s. Until that time, and even after, kids would walk, ride a horse, or drive a horse and
buggy to get to school. In the later years students were driven to school by cars.
Approximately 200 students graduated from New Columbia High School in its 20 years of existence.
Many on went on to professional lives including work as physicians, veteranarians, nurses, lawyers, auctioneers,
receptionsists, and teachers. There was never an overwhelming enrollment, but the school is said to have produced some very
good basketball teams.
Three students, Nolan Harris, Loren Mathias, and Cleo Teague, were killed
in combat during World War II. I will quote Mrs. Turner as she ends her article;
"The education received, school spirit, and relationship of the students at New Columbia High School
cannot be excelled: all are proud to proclaim they were educated at this school".