The History of Burbank Queen of Peace High School
Burbank (population 28,925) is located in south-central Cook County. The eastern edge of
Burbank shares a border with the southwest side of the city of Chicago. The main roadways leading to and from Burbank include
Central Avenue, 79th Street, and South State Road. Illinois Route 50 (Cicero Avenue) passes through the east side of
town as well. The land on which Burbank is located was first settled in 1850. It was not until the 1920s that the area became
substantially inhabited. In 1970 Burbank was incorporated into an official Illinois city.
Burbank Queen of Peace High School was established in 1962 by the Siniswa
Dominican Sisters as an all-girls catholic high school. During it's first year operation classes were held at St. Laurence
High School, also in Burbank, for the 400 students enrolled while construction of the Queen of Peace High School building
was being completed. The Queen of Peace building was completed prior to the start of the 1963-64 school year at which
time classes began at that facility.
Queen of Peace High School enjoyed 55 years of service educating young
women in the Burbank area. During that time approximately 15,000 students earned their diplomas. The school building
was designed for an enrollment capacity of 1,400. This capacity, or close to it, was the norm during the 1960s and 1970s.
As recently as 2007 the enrollment of Queen of Peace High School was nearly 700 students. The final year at Queen of Peace
there was an enrollment of 288 students. The school closed on June 30, 2017 due to an extended enrollment decline and financial
Queen of Peace High School "Quick Facts"
Year Opened: 1962
Year Closed: 2017
School Nickname: "Pride"
School Colors: Green & White
School Fight Song: