Chicago Thomas Hoyne Manual Training High School was named for Chicago lawyer and politican Thomas
Hoyne, famous for writing "The Lawyer as a Pioneer"
The following history of the Thomas Hoyne Manual Training High School was provided by Dan Hoyne
as located in a book titled "Some Representative American Industrial and Manual Training Schools" by Charles
H. Morse (1908).
"Thomas Hoyne Manual Training High School
In September, 1905, the Thomas Hoyne Manual Training High School was
opened in a former grammar school building at Illinois and Cass streets, for the purpose of relieving the congested condition
of R. T. Crane Manual Training High School, and to form a nucleus for the organization of a new North Side Technical
School, the erection of which had long been contemplated by the Board of Education. At the opening of Hoyne the enrollment
was 85, but it has since increased to 440. The school has a four-years course of study, but owing to the crowded conditions
only the first two years of the course have been carried out at Hoyne. In September, 1908, the pupils of the Hoyne School
will be transferred to the new Albert G. Lane Manual Training High School, where a four-years course will be pursued."
Chicago Thomas Hoyne Manual Training High School Quick Facts
Year Opened: 1905
Year Closed: 1908
Consolidated to: Albert G. Lane Manual Training High School
ATHLETICS & EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
Hoyne Manual High School was a member of the Cook County League for athletics. The boys definitely competed
in basketball as this newspaper article from the Chicago Tribune dated September 10, 1906 shows.